A patient visits their doctor suffering from a chesty cough.
After a brief examination involving listening to the patient’s chest, taking a BP reading, and discussing symptoms, the doctor diagnoses a chest infection and prescribes a short course of antibiotics.
What does that visit look like in FHIR?
- Practitioner [the doctor]
- PractitionerRole [the doctor’s position]
- Organization [the clinic or surgery]
- Appointment [the appointment time]
- Encounter [triggered when the patient arrives at the surgery]
- Observation [for storing the BP readings & chest findings]
- Condition [the diagnosis]
- Medication [the drug prescribed]
- MedicationRequest [the prescription]
All that for a simple GP visit.
Full list of FHIR R4 resources: http://hl7.org/fhir/R4/resourcelist.html
Sign up to “The Tuesday FHIR Sessions” and receive an email every Tuesday where I go deep on a single FHIR topic.